For the entire month of October, MID invites you to visit the lobby of our main office to learn more about the benefits of public power, receive energy-and-money savings tips – and have some local refreshments with us.
MID is located at 744 W. 20th St. in Merced. Office hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Online, information about MID’s public power and energy savings can be found at MIDLightsTheWay.com
MID joins more than 2,000 other community-owned, not-for-profit electric utilities that collectively provide electricity to more than 48 million Americans.
Since forming its electric utility 20 years ago, MID has built a system that serves electricity to more than 8,500 local residents and businesses.
Public power means that there are no profits – it also means local decision making. Unlike investor-owned utilities, there are no investors, no stock shares and no dividends. Power is provided “at the cost of service” with no-markups. The revenue generated by MID is returned to the benefit of all electric customers through investments in the electric system and providing the lowest possible rates.
- MID provides safe, not-for profit electricity at a reasonable price.
- MID provides power to over 8,500 customers.
- Unlike private power companies, public power utilities like MID are public service institutions and do not serve stockholders.
- We measure success by how much money stays within our community.
- Public Power has a strong environmental-protection track record, solid credentials with bond ratings agencies, and a reputation for reliable, customer-focused service.